To Book a Trip for Either Penticton handyDART or Summerland On Request Service
Call 250-492-5814 to book a trip. When you call, please have the following information ready:
- Your name and the day and time you wish to travel
- The exact address where you wish to be picked up and dropped off
- If you will be accompanied by an attendant or escort
- If you use a wheelchair, walker or other type of mobility aid
- If you wish to book a return trip.
We ask that you book your trip at least one week in advance whenever possible. However, trips may be booked 24 hours in advance, subject to availability. There are two types of trips you can book:
- Regular trips that you take a least once a week
- One time trips to an appointment, to go shopping, for a social visit or a recreational activity
The dispatcher will give you a pick up time. Please allow 15 minutes on either side of that time for the bus to arrive. We ask that you be ready 15 minutes before your scheduled pick up time. It is not necessary to wait outside, but if you are being picked up at an apartment complex or commercial building, we ask that you wait in the lobby for the bus to arrive.
Mobility Aids (wheelchairs, scooters, walkers)
Please inform the dispatcher if you use a mobility aid when you book your trip. Mobility aids must be safe and well maintained to be carried on othe buses. The design of our buses limits the type of mobility aids which can be safely transported. To endure safety:
- Mobility aids cannot be larger than the hoist platform
- Mobility aids should be equipped with a lap restraint
- Tie-downs must be located at each of the four outermost corners of the frame to enable the tie-down straps to run parallel. Tie-down securements must be fastened to the frame of the mobility aid
- Mobility aids with flags, whip-type antenna or oversized baskets cannot be transported on transit vehicles.
Not all wheelchairs are suitable for safe transport on the handyDART. You may be asked to transfer to a stationary seat in the vehicle for your safety and that of other riders.